It’s becoming abundantly obvious as sales of DVD, Blu Rays and movie tickets plummet more and more that the (not so) old adage is true..Internet has indeed killed the Video star. While I’m not ready to accept that death and find the prospect both terrifying and extremely disheartening I’ve got to admit that The Internet entertainment industry (youtube in particular) has indeed offered up a unique and often entertaining entertainment experience (that statement might be redundantly redundant..but it’s true nonetheless) Sure, just like most entertainment formats most of what’s up for grabs is..poop. In fact I would say that the more popular the more shitty (mostly because Hollywood has firmly inserted their collective cock and firmly penetrated this new format and they’re the ones who can pay for advertisements and false views and likes to encourage sheep to view and like in kind..but I digress) ..but there is indeed a lighter more promising aspect to Youtube. As a man who grew up loving Public access shluck and dreaming of a day when everyone could join together and have a massive, worldwide PA station..this shit is a dream come true! So now that we’ve wasted time droning, let’s take a look at THE TOP 10 BEST OF YOUTUBE.
10. : Review channels are a billion for a half a quarter of a 10th of a plastic penny on youtube. The majority of them are kids ages 10 to 14 who simply say “This movie sucked balls” or “This shit was awesome” and then drone about nothing (shit we’ve got a few reviews like that ourselves!) but Geek Legion Of Doom is a rare gem. Showcasing everything from Super Heroes, to Porn Parodies to…rape zombies..(?) Geek Legion of Doom present charming, oftentimes funny reviews with clear concise reasoning as to their opinions..They’re like us..only English! and everyone knows English accents make everything Better! Here’s a little taste:
Go check them out, give them a like and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWajraXEkctMoQNpc6Q_TJw
9. I’m a sucker for special makeup effects. The art behind the art is oftentimes even more fascinating then the effect itself. Juan “freakshow” Caparas is a breathtakingly talented young artist who works primarily in masks, latex makeup, and models and creates some of the most bizzare, off the wall and (most importantly) unique creations I have ever seen. Instead of simply showcasing his creations with stock music and a spin like most artists on youtube, Juan not only shows us the process, but creates an intricate story for most of his creations, giving them soul, personality and a dimension that really makes them come alive in my mind. It’s literally impossible for me to pick a favorite on this guys site..so I selected one at random
..but you seriously need to make sure you have a few free hours when you check out this guy’s page..you won’t be leaving quickly I promise you that! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG-oUmwXaoGipxfQW-zdTow
8.: Yeah, Yeah. I know what you’re thinking: “But Drew, you WORSHIP Troma, how can they be at number 8? Well I had to be fair and honestly the majority of the content on this channel isn’t original content so I have to give the higher places on the list to those that have more of that to be fair..but with that said the official Troma movies youtube channel is fucking amazing! All of the classic Troma films can be found there free of charge (and without fear of prison) by None other then everyone’s favorite perverted Uncle Lloyd Kaufman! You’ll also find some zany extra cheesy videos of various men and women in Troma outfits shouting and doing..things..No it’s not a fetish site..but that doesn’t mean you can’t masturbate anyway.
7. The cooking channel is fun and all..but who the hell really wants to make a kale infused french brulee? We’re actually hungry goddamnit! We need a channel for hungry, provision wasting, overeating maniacs by hungry, provision wasting maniacs! The Canadian connoisseurs of compulsive consumption collectively known as Epic Meal Time heard our grumbling bellies and answered with some of the most insane culinary concoctions ever created…and a fuck ton (exactly 10 and a half shitloads) of bacon!
6.: Want a bit of variety and a whole lot of snarky commentary? Planet Dolan (and Danger Dolan in particular) have got you covered. From strange creatures, to serial killers, to banned cartoons and dangerous toys, Planet Dolan is a smorgasbord of oddities perfect for wasting an afternoon…or 30.
5. Today’s news syndicates suck ass, let’s face it. We’re all tired of hearing about terrorist threats and the latest epidemic..Sometimes we just want to hear a Canadian stoner talk about some psycho with 82 Julia Roberts tattoos..Well Fluffee is that stoner .
4.: Now, I know I’ll get flack for adding one of our longtime friends and collaborators to this list..but I simply can’t make a list like this without including Billy (The Kanadian Kadaver) Bloodshed/Pop. Billy’s channel is another one where you can find all sorts of shit, from cover music to original music from Billy’s awesome band Billy and The Guttersnipes, to Billy’s unique brand of film reviewing. He may just be the most talented intoxicated midget since Danny Devito. More importantly you can’t watch this friendly fuck’s videos without feeling like he’s your Buddy..Maybe it’s a Canadian thing, maybe it’s a Hippy/punk thing..or maybe it’s those fantastic nipples..either way We love you Billy..In a homo way.
3.: Modern mainstream music is horseshit. With the advent of Autotunes and the lowered standards of the consumers literally anyone ANYONE could be a top ten pop artist. The delightfully irreverent and silly group of (surprisingly talented) people who make up Schmoyoho (Good luck saying that shit!) prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt with their Songify series where they take Viral videos, Newscasts and all sorts of other videos and turn the speakers (or drunken slurrers…or screamers) into better pop singers then the record companies have offered in the last 10 years! Be prepared to have songs that aren’t songs stuck in your head for the foreseeable future and getting strange looks from co-workers when you suddenly belt out “My neighbors got big testicles man we seen this dude everyday!” though..you’ve been warned!…Now songify us damnit!
2.: All to often people are quick to dismiss Cover bands as talentless or as just being a gimmick..But when said band is one dude, playing every instrument and that dude can take Like A Virgin, Let It Go, and Barbie Girl (just to name a few) and make them into face melting metal music.. You gotta take Notice! Leo Moracchioli is a native of Norway and lifelong Music obessor who has the midas touch..except instead of turning things to gold he turns Pop shit into Metal Ambrosia! He also does some great acoustic covers and awesome instructional videos..but you’ll still never be as good as he is..Just saying
1. Today’s filmmakers tend to take themselves too damn seriously (trust me I deal with them on a daily basis so I would know) So when I discovered Richard Gale and his twisted sense of humor, down to earth regular guy approach to dealing with the public and fans, and talent for making blockbuster quality content with two nickles and a half a piece of stale bubblegum I was instantly captivated. Most notably about this channel though is the Creepy, hilarious, just wrong creation that is The Ginosaji. A pale skinned, spoon wielding unstoppable Japanese demon who has for reasons unknown set his sights on poor Jack and turned his world upside down. What started as nothing more than a purposly overlong joke trailer soon became an internet sensation, spawning interactive videos, a web series and an actual feature length film (which is currently in the works) Everything about this channel is addictive..we’re just sad that there’s not more.